The last night here, the last night in Indiana. My trainer let me leave early knowing that I had things to attend to. I have to check out tomorrow morning, drive to Pittsburgh, check into the Marriott and get reacclimated. I have a meeting at 2PM downtown. Truth be told, I could have done everything in the morning but I just wanted to get the hell out of there. Not that I didn't like the University or the Telefund but I knew everything already, my learning was complete, well done grasshoppa. I stopped by Taco Bell on the way back, picked up a Zesty Chicken Bowl; Rice, chicken, beans, and salad...couldn't be all that bad, could it?. I was convincing myself that I was eating healthy, I needed to get home fast, and I needed food, so the only logical answer was what? Yep, you guessed it, fast-food.
After spending an hour watching back-to-back mediocre performances of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report (they were on top of their game during the conventions) I thought it'd be a good idea to get the trunk loaded, less work for me to do tomorrow morning. I carried my two suitcases, it's a pain in the ass to close them both properly so I took the risk of the cinematic suitcases flinging open with all of my shit flying out. I risked looking like an idiot and I succeeded...not in looking like an idiot...nothing happened, I was safe. After tossing those two behemoths in the car and hearing the thud of the trunk closing, I paused for a moment, I paused for a good 90 seconds; the time it took for the headlights to automatically turn off. I just had one of those moments when you stand in silence and feel what's around you. It was quiet but in the distance, you could hear the chirping of a cricket. Another insect was sitting on the window of my trusty Avenger, sitting there, motionless. Normally, I would shudder and squeal like a little girl catching a giant bug in my visual field but that grasshopper-esque creature sat there peacefully (or ready to strike). The air was cool and you could almost feel the moisture clutching your pores. The parking lot full of cars, except for those two handicapped spots at the end, were masked in precipitae (Yeah, I just made up a word for it). Condensation, the cars looked like people who had just gotten out of the shower. I glanced at the sky above to see if it was a starry night, but alas that was not so, light clouds covered my head, the almost full moon shone dim and pale. Just then the car beeped and the headlights went out. And like that, like the finger-snap of a magician, I was out of my trance. I went back inside and here I am, taking short interval breaks inhaling my Marb lights, doing a miserable job articulating my last night here in Indiana, PA. I'm going to miss this quiet little town.
No comments:
Post a Comment