A historic day, not just in our lifetime but in the history of the United States.
If it looks and sounds to perfect to be true, ya know what? Maybe it is. The weather was great, I went to the polling station which was located at a Nursing Home not too far away from my hotel. There, I was in line with cripples, old people, spics, niggers, chinks, crackers and towelheads. All waiting patiently, to cast their ballots. This was democracy in action. I dont care who they were voting for but the fact that they came out to make a difference. And tonight, my faith in the American people was vindicated. Now more than ever, am I proud to call myself an American. Although I still think the National Anthem needs to be updated, that's an entirely different discourse that I'll save for another entry.
Barack Obama is the American Dream. I'm overcome with joy, a state of euphoria and a sense of accomplishment. I put a lot of effort and energy into this election. As a student at Stony Brook University, I was a drunk who professed his love for Barack Obama even before he was the front runner for the democratic party. During the summer, I worked for the DNC, in the blistering heat, on the street of New York trying to raise money for Obama. From September on, I volunteered for the democrats on the weekends, making phone calls, making sure people were aware of the issues and registered. Along the way, I donated money here and there, hoping that any penny I could spare would make a difference. And it did.
After casting my vote, I went grocery shopping for the month of November, came back to my dirty hotel room. I cleaned up, did my laundry, began cooking, and sat by the TV watching CNN's coverage of the election. Close to 11 o'clock while watching Comedy Central's Indecision 2008 with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, it was announced that Barack Obama was the President Elect. I couldn't contain myself and knew that I had to surround myself with people. I went to the local bar to find people huddled around the TV with drinks in their hand. Not only drinks but cigarettes as well. Thank the fuck Christ, this place had indoor smoking. The crowd chanted "Yes we can" as President elect Barack Obama delivered his speech. I have returned to my hotel room with pride, with solace, and with joy. But along with this joy is a deep sense of isolation. I wish I were in New York, with my family and friends. I'm in awe of this moment in time but at the same time alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment